sabato, dicembre 12, 2009

Some things too late- adoption denial.


Adoption denial. What does it feel like? A fellow blogger, Suz, (who everyone should check out ASAP if they haven't already) posed this question on her own blog, http://writingmywrongs.com/ .

This question intrigued me to the point where I had to spend a few days thinking about how to respond. As an adoptee who actively works hard everyday attempting to convince myself that adoption doesn't matter- how do I do it? How do I look into the eyes of my birthsisters and say they do not matter? How can I think of my birthmother and think "she is no one to me anymore?" How do I speak to my birthfather once every two weeks and think, " this man is merely a nice acquaintance with whom I share DNA. A friend. Not a father." Is this so called denial easy for me, does it come as naturally as breathing? Or is it something I have to practice- a mantra that must be repeated, memorized, absorbed.

Perhaps another question could be, "how can I not?"

Sometimes the knowledge of my adoption and the experience of my subsequent reunion is so overwhelming, so deeply engrained in my personhood, that the only thing I can do to purge myself of those feelings is to negate them. To negate myself, even.


"I am one of billions of people. 100 years from now I will be gone, all trace of my personhood returned to the earth. No one will remember my story, the situation in which I was born will no longer be relevant. I have been displaced yes, but also placed. I belong to the clan with which I reside. The past does not matter, even I do not matter."

For my birthmother, I am one of over half a dozen children. All but two have not remained with the biological family. By convincing myself that I am not alone, I have also convinced myself that I am not important. To my biological family, particularly maternally, I am simply one of many. One of many failed parenthoods.

"I do not belong with them, I never belonged.They have proven this to me. "

My biological family, as an entity, chose to expel me from their family. And somehow, I think this essential fact is somehow forgotten, misplaced, brushed aside. But it has not been lost to me. The family to whom I was born pick and chose children- raising some, placing others. But that's not my business. I have no right to question, no right to pick over their decision, no right to make them feel guilty for their choice. But on that some level, I am somehow expected to accept them without hesitation, to love them, to connect with them, to regard them as my family. Why?

"She is not my mother, she is not my mother. He is nice but not my father. That girl is not my sister." I repeat this over and over. I have myself nearly convinced. Some people are astounded at my callous, others applaud me and commend me for not allowing those archaic notions of biology to control my own definition of family.

There are a few members of my birthfamily whom I love. Most significantly, my older sister, Pippi, whom I only reunited with within the year. She is the first one I connected with, the first one whom I can really say I love. She too was placed for adoption- and so we are two women: the cast out, the two biosisters reunited on the outside. But even we know that we are not sisters. And how could we be? We tried the word out once or twice.


"This is my sister, Amanda." or "This is my sister, Pippi." But the words tasted funny, unfamiliar. We dropped the title almost immediately. I care for her, deeply even. But who is she? I have yet to find the correct definition. Perhaps we cannot be defined. I do know, however, with certainty what we are not.

I deny because it is the only truth in my adoption that I can find. The only piece of my personhood that I dare claim.

"She is not my mother, he is not my father, she is not my sister. She is my birthmother's mother, not my grandmother. He is my birthfathers brother, not my uncle."

Selfishly, I ask "why should I acknowledge those who do not acknowledge me?" But truthfully, I ask "Why should I pine for something that cannot be found in it's entirety again?" My reunion is not a look into the past, but a glimpse into something unattainable- into the family that could have been, that might have been, that almost was, but simply isn't.



9 commenti:

FauxClaud ha detto...

While the incredibly sadness of this post resonates so strongly to me; I am so happy to hear you speak of it so openly...there are the kinds of conversationsd that need to be had!
I want to ask: do you think that perhaps by repeating the denial it could be some form of having at least some control over a situation that you have none? After being told through the years : these are your people, no they are not your people, now these are your people, oh and accept these epopel too.. do you feel that you deny becasue it is the one thing you CAN do proactively?
Really has me thinking.. I have to read it again!

Abrazo Adoption ha detto...

I think it was Richard Bach who wrote:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood but of respect and joy in one another's lives. Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof."

Surely you (and every person who was ever once adopted) have an inherent right to determine for yourself, for once! who is--and isn't-- a member of your chosen family.

And likewise, to not feel compelled to have to justify your choices to anyone.

May you find peace in the choices that you make and the family that you choose.

suz ha detto...

Do you believe that perception creates reality? Do think it is possible in adoption reunion for one to believe that something will never be and therefore make it so? If a person tells themselves their parent, child, significant other will never be who they want them to be that seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy no?

My current belief (and again, note this is MINE) is that I need to accept what IS and make the best of it (however that is defined by me) as opposed to constantly being caught up in what isnt. For that is too painful and self defeating for me.

I like Claud's suggestion that denial is control. That as long as you say this is the way something is, then you are in control and cannot be hurt (and I dont mean YOU per se but anyone). That you can maintain the illusion of what you want versus what you have.

As Claud notes, your post is very thought provoking.

Laurel ha detto...

Okay...one, it's about time you update your blog. :o) I've been meaning to send you off an email, too.

Secondly...amazing post. And what's more interesting...is that I completely understand and had strong feelings when I read it...but when I read Suz's comment (thanks Suz!) to the post, I even went more deeply into my thoughts/feelings and it changed. I'm not sure I can put it into words at present...but I'm gonna blog about it...at some point. Interesting!

Hmmmm. Wow. I need to think on this, before I comment further.

Big hugs to you.

Amanda ha detto...

Thanks for all your responses guys. I've taken the day to reflect on what you've all said. This very well could be partially an issue of control for me. But that is not to say, however, that I would deny my birthfamily simply to exert some level of control. The issues for me are so much more complex than that. At the end of the day, though, I hold the wildly unpopular notion that my birthparents made a choice to remove themselves from my life- and I am under no obligation, morally or ethically, emotionally or biologically, to accept them into my life as family members when they purposefully and knowingly chose to be absent from it.

In my mind this simply is not a case of perceived reality, nor an illusion. My birthmother could have been my mother, my birthfather could have been my dad. But they decided against it, and that is the truth. And so where does that leave me, where does that leave us? It leaves me with my family, and they with theirs.

Not all of you know my story, and though I am always reluctant to post details, let it suffice that more than a handful of people in my birthfamily ( both nuclear and extended) were less than thrilled when I audaciously attempted to become a part of their lives. Their rejection, that lasts still to this day, shattered me. So much so that now, nearly a decade later, I am weeping as I type.

" You are not in our circle," some of them told me. And so here I am. The mistake from the past- and when I appeared in the present, some of them simply could not let go of their own hurt, the own shattering of a family that took place with my conception.

Would things have been different had I myself not been denied? Perhaps so. Do I see it as a sort of self preservation? Definitely. She will never be my mother, nor he my father. Her mother not my grandma, his father my grandfather. They each have their place, however significant or insignificant. But they will never get the titles everyone wants me to give. On one level because they have been replaced, because I don't think they deserve it, and on a sadder, deeper level - because I will never allow them to hurt me again.

suz ha detto...

hugs to you. i feel for your. i cannot understand how your birth family could be that way but of course, i see the world through my lens..one that did not include choice, one that wanted to keep her child, one that has done everything in her power to include her (to no avail).

but again, thank you for sharing. seriously thought provoking post (for many, obvs)

hi laurel!

Jennifer ha detto...

Hi, Amanda,

What a hard post to read...not as difficult as it was to wrote I'm sure...so much sadness and hurt.

Only a brief comment - as my wonderful therapist would say - "you are allowed to feel the way you feel.

Sending healing energy your way and hoping that you can find a way to move forward into some kind of happiness.

Anonimo ha detto...

This post is so sad and so thoughtful; I really appreciate the chance to read about your experiences. I'm sorry you've been so wounded. =/

Zhey ha detto...

I can relate! I met my first mother's family, her only sibling, an aunt who looks so much like me and who I know cares for me. She didn't know I existed until I searched and traced them. She welcomed me, so did her son (her daughter was a bit lukewarm) but I cannot deny the palpable gap... It is unexplainable, cannot be seen even if you try to look hard behind the warm smiles and hugs but it is there, unmistakably nagging and many times I sat from across them and wondered, "so... what are we? family?" and the word "family" pertaining to them sounds so foreign.